Sunday, June 6, 2010
This is a great low calorie dessert when the berries come in season. I think this recipe is really hard to beat. It’s a very striking dessert so great for guests. It’s also very light and perfect to serve after a summer BBQ.
Make sure to use a good mix of berries. I used No Fat Cool Whip and Frozen Vanilla Yogurt to lower the calories. I did not have any cassis so I used just a little black currant jam and it was enjoyable substitute.
Mixed Berry And Cassis Sundaes
Serves 6 To 8
A RECIPE FROM GOURMET MAGAZINE
• 1/2 cup crème de cassis (black-currant liqueur or use a little black currant jam)
• 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar, divided
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
• 4 cups mixed berries (1 1/4 lb), halved or quartered if large
• 3/4 cup chilled heavy cream
• 1 pint vanilla ice cream (I used Haagen Dazs Vanille Yogurt)
• 1 pint raspberry sorbet (I used Haagen Dazs Raspberry)
• Bring crème de cassis or jam and 1/4 cup sugar to a simmer, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Stir in lemon juice.
• Pour syrup over berries, stirring gently to coat. Let stand 10 minutes.
• Beat cream with remaining Tbsp sugar using an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks. (Note: Instead of whipping cream, you can use cool whip with a little Mascarpone)
• Place ice cream and sorbet in glass. Top with berries and syrup, then with whipped cream.
Posted by Susan York at 6:43 PM